Full Name: Hakam bin Abdullah bin Muslimah bin Abdur Rahmaan Abu Mutee’ Al-Balkhee Al-Khuraasaani
Place of Stay: Balakh, Khurasaan.
Teachers: Hishaam bin Hisaan, Bakr bin Khunais, Ibaad bin Katheer, Abdullah bin Awn, Ibraheem bin Tahmaan, Israa’eel bin Yunus, Nu’maan bin Thaabit Abu Hanifah, Maalik bin Anas, and Sufyaan ath-Thawree, etc
Students: Ahmed bin Munee’, and a group of people from Khurasaan.
Profession: Qaadhi of Balakh.
Status: Matrook ul-Hadeeth, Kadhaab
Jarh wat Ta’deel:
1. Imaam Dhahabi wrote regarding him that: “He was an expert in Raye, he was a Major Allamah and the holder of high status, but was useless in the preservation of Athaar.” [Mizan ul-I’tidaal: 1/574]
Imaam Dhahabi also said: “He is abandoned” in Al-Mughni fi ad-Du’afa [1/183]
2. Imaam Ibn Sa’d said: “He was a Murji’I, He is Da’eef according to them in Hadeeth, and he was blind” [Tabaqaat al-Kubra: 7/374]
3. Imaam Daraqutni mentioned him in ad-Du’afa wal Matrokeen (162).
4. Imaam Ahmed bin Hanbal said: “I Do not narrate anything from him” [Mawsoo’ah Aqwaal al-Imaam Ahmed: 1/284]
5. Imaam Yahya Ibn Ma’een said: “He is Da’eef.” [Taareekh Baghdaad: 8/220, Chain Saheeh]
He also said: “He is Nothing” [Taareekh Baghdaad: 8/220, Al-Jarh wat Ta’deel: 3/122, Taareekh Ibn Ma’een, Al-Kaamil fi ad-Du’afa ar-Rijaal: 2/501, Chain Saheeh]
6. Imaam Abu Hafs Amr bin Ali Al-Falaas said: “Abu Mutee’ Al-Hakam bin Abdullah is Da’eef in Hadeeth” [Taareekh Baghdaad: 8/220, Chain Saheeh]
7. Imaam Nasaa’ee said: “He is Da’eef.” [Ad-Du’afa wal Matrokeen by An-Nasaa’ee: 1/112]
8. Abdur Rahmaan bin Abi Haatim said: I asked my Father about Abu Mutee’ Al-Balkhee, so he said: “He is the Qaadhi of Balkh, he is a Murji’i, Da’eef ul-Hadeeth” [Al-Jarh wat Ta’deel: 3/122]
9. Imaam Ibn Hibbaan mentioned him in Kitaab al-Majroheen and said: “He was from the Leaders of Murjiah, and is one of those who hold hatred for the Sunnah and those who act upon Sunnah” [Al-Majroheen: 1/250]
10. Imaam Ibn Adee said: The weakness in his narrations is evident, and whatever he narrates usually is not followed. [Al-Kaamil fi Du’afa ar-Rijaal: 2/503]
11. Imaam Daraqutni weakened him by mentioning him in Kitaab ad-Du’afa wal Matrokeen [2/148]
12. Imaam Khateeb Baghdaadi said: “He is Da’eef” [Al-Muttafaq wal Muftaraq: 2/779]
13. Imaam Ibn Al-Jawzi mentioned him in Kitaab ad-Du’afa wal Matrokeen [1/227]
14. Haafidh Ibn Hajar said in Lisaan al-Mizaan that: “Dhahabi has said with certainty that he has fabricated narrations” [Lisaan al-Mizaan: 2/336]
The common Muhadditheen have abandoned him, and some people have even issued the fatwa of Kufr upon him. In fact, he even fabricated this hadeeth to give strength to the Madhab of Jahmiah and Murji’iah that: “The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: ‘Having the Aqeedah that Emaan increases and decreases, is Kufr and Shirk’” [See: Mizaan al-I’tidaal: 1/269,Taareekh Khateeb: 8/223-225, etc]
15. Imaam Bayhaqi weakened him in Al-Sunan al-Kubra. [2/315]
16. Imaam Ukaylee mentioned him in Ad-Du’afa al-Kabeer. [1/256]
17. Haafidh Ibn al-Qaisaraani weakened Abu Mutee’ in Dhakheerat ul-Huffadh [1/302 # 265, 4/2015 # 4637, 5/2582 # 6000, 5/2602 # 6050]
18. Abu Abdullah al-Hamdhaani al-Jurqaani said, while commenting on a hadeeth, that: “This hadeeth is Mawdoo’ Baatil, there is no bases for it, It is from the Fabrications of Abu Mutee’….. He is from the leaders of Murji’ah, he is from the fabricators of hadeeth, and from those who hold hatred for the Sunan.” [Al-Abateel wal Manakeer was Sahaah wal Mashaaheer: 1/145]
19. Suyooti graded a hadeeth to be Fabricated because of Abu Mutee’. [Al-Alaa’ee al-Masnoo’ah fi al-Ahadeeth al-Mawdoo’ah: 1/41, 49]
20. Noor ud-Deen al-Kinaani declared Abu Mutee’ to be a Liar and Fabricator of hadeeth. [Tanzeeh al-Shara’eeah An al-Akhbaar al-Shanee’ah al-Mawdoo’ah: 1/54]
21. Even the Imaam of Hanafiyah, Anwar Shaah Kashmiri has confessed that he is not reliable in Hadeeth. [Faydh ul-Baari: 1/59]
Al-Hakam bin Abdullah Abu Mutee al-Balakhi is a Weak, Kadhaab(liar), and Matrook narrator.